ORCA® Grow Film is made from threads of a high density specialized reflective plastic which are bonded together creating a unique surface topography. The resulting geometry of the microfibers and the submicron pores within the microfiber, create a highly reflective and diffuse surface. The same principal is found in snowflakes, where normally transparent water is transformed into reflective bright white snow through the unique geometry of ice crystal formation. Diffuse reflection is important to hydroponic growers because it eliminates hot spots and creates the even, efficient distribution of light plants desire.
Reflectance versus Wavelength Performance Test for Hydroponic Films:
ORCA Grow Film® is 94% reflective across the full visible spectrum, averaging 94% reflectivity for all wavelengths that are relevant for plant stimulation.
The chart below demonstrates the reflectance vs. wavelength performance of several popular brands and materials used in hydroponic grow rooms. Metalized Polyethylene Terephthalate Film was first developed by DuPont in the 1950's; originally branded as Mylar, it is now commonly known as PET film and manufactured all over the world. Many products in the hydroponic industry are associated with false or misleading performance claims, and this is true of reflective films. PET film products are marketed to hydroponic consumers with performance claims as high as 99% reflectivity, despite historically testing in the low to upper 80% reflectance range in the visible spectrum.
ORCA Grow Film® incorporates the latest reflective technology from the engineered synthetic materials field, similar to those found in solid-state lighting, flat panel TV's and PDA's.
Have you noticed in LED grow lamps, where there is no heat issue/consideration when choosing a reflector, and where every manufacturer is striving for higher performance, the choice is not a Mylar/PET film, but rather a white reflective material?
The above testing was performed by Orb Optronix. Orb's testing lab is NIST traceable and provides measurement to industry standards including IES, CIE, IEC, ANSI, DOE, CALiPER, and Energy Star.
BEWARE OF KILLER YIELDS!
- 99% Diffuse Surface: Microfiber structure creates even light distribution across material surface regardless of incident angle of light. The resulting isotropic surface luminance eliminates hot spots and does not require surface to be hung flat during installation.
- Highly Reflective Surface: Measured at 94% reflectivity across the full visible light spectrum. ORCA Grow Film® is the highest performing reflective surface in the hydroponic industry.
- Thermally Reflecting: High infrared reflectance keeps heat where it should be.
- 100% Light Tight.
- No Color Shift or Iridescence: Light reflected from surface maintains the original color wavelength so you get the full spectrum from your lamps.
- Durable, puncture and tear resistance: 11 mil thick
- Waterproof Washable & cleanable with common household cleaners:
- Mold and algae growth resistant.
- UV Protected and Stable: Blocks out harmful UV light with wavelength below 400nm, material does not yellow.
- Recyclable eco-friendly material containing no halogens, plasticizers or VOCs.
- Made in USA
ORCA® Grow Film
- Brand: ORCA Grow Film